STEM Lesson Plan & Activities - BEE BOT Year 1/2/3
Early Years - R-2
'Design a nature play area and pathways to navigate surrounding area within our school' - to link in with current plans for "Nature Play" area, works to commence in 2018
pre assessment questions
what can be found in a playground? What are things that are ggreat to play with outside
how can we use our imagination in play?
- What makes a good nature play area? what could it include?- Why do we need one? - How can it be used?
Exursion to Morialta Nature Play Park and then Thorndon Park Reserve
*Use iPads to take photos
- Compare both play areas - Looks, feels, sounds like..- What is nature play? Looks, feels, sounds like..
Natural/ contructed/ man made
- What would you like to see in a nature play area?
Lesson 4 and 5
- Design/Map out a nature play area -use Sketch Up. Use Bee Bots to code your pathways on your map- Discuss location of areas and paths
*Design an area/object for the nature play area design - 3D printer
- Test pathways in designs using Bee Bots
- Evaluate and modify the designs - are pathways safe and effective to reach all parts of area?
- Present and reflect on designs
- small worlds display - make a craft/art display that reflects the area of the nature play area with vegetation and students make one item for the nature play area - eg flower, tree, mushroom, minibeast (Makers Empire and 3D printer)