STEM Lesson Plan & Activities - BEEBOT Year 1
Stage 1 STEM Activity
- Students have been learning about their geographical location in relation to other places and their local community (Stage 1 - Geography)
- Intro to coding
- Students are in pairs
- One student is blindfolded and is the ‘robot’
- Other student is the ‘programmer’ and must instruct their partner through an obstacle course set by teacher
- Reinforce the importance of positional language/directions (link to mathematics and geography)
- Give students 20 mins to explore with the beebots
- Discuss findings
- Students are giving a large coordinates grid
- Teacher tells students to get from ‘A to B’ → students program beebots to reach given destination
- Explore and discuss the different ways students achieve this
- Explain to student that the will be creating a 3D model of the area around our school
- Students design a plan of their area using grid paper
- Plans must include
- The school
- Local shops
- Extension: Students could include a scale in their map (mathematics)
- Engineering - Student construct their 3D model.
- They could use:
- Students devise a scenario that requires them to travel to places through the town
- E.g. Sophia needs to school, however she must stop at Coles to buy her lunch. She lives at ______. Can you help her on this journey?
- Students test their scenario by coding their beebots.
- Students swap scenarios with another group. They must code their beebots to solve the problem stated in their class-mates scenario.