STEM Lesson Plan & Activities - DRONES Year 7/8
Drones and Edison Robots Years 7 and 8
Accessing water pipes for vulnerabilities to potentially avoid burst pipes and water wastage.
Geography, Digital Technologies
ACHGS047, ACHGS 049, ACHGS 050, ACHGS 051, ACHGK038, ACHGK040, ACHGK042, ACTDIK023, ACTDIP026, ACTDIP027
- How does society waste water?
- Where does our drinking water come from?
- How does it get to our houses?
- What are the water pipes made of?
- What causes our water pipes to burst?
- What are the consequences of the burst water pipes?
- Where water breaks have occurred in SA and why.
- Is there a pattern?
- Does geography play a part in this issue?
- Problem Solving
- Ask students who has personal experience of burst water pipes? Ie water disruptions, stuck in traffic, road blocked, flooding, smell, no water etc.
- Ask students who would like to go down into the man hole to assess the situation?
- How are the burst pipes fixed?
- Is there a better way of assessing the break and fixing it without all the disruption?
- How the drones work.
- How you control them.
- Features of a drone ie camera, wireless data transmission or data storage.
- Edison Robot
- Play with the robot to see how it operates
- Compare and Contrast Drones and Edison Robot
- Pro’s and Con’s of both.
- Class vote to decide which is best to use: Drone or Edison
- Preparing for the Experiment
- Split class into small groups.
- Build a model of a water pipe specific to the geographical location where most burst occur.
- Using the chosen technology do the following:
i.Go into the pipe system.
ii.Take images of the structure.
iii.Retrieve the images.
iv.Identify faults in the pipe.
v.Fix the faults.
Loss of jobs?
3D modelling – sketch-up/AutoCAD/Blender
Measurement of shapes – area/perimeter
Promotional DVD video to give to local council or SA Water
How does R2D2 work? What sensors and programming would he need?