STEM Lesson Plan & Activities - EDISON ROBOT Year 4
Edison Year 4
Aim: Getting the lunch box from the canteen in inclement weather
- Map of the school
- Lego to build a platform the box
- Will it support the weight of the lunch box
- Problem solving possible obstacles within mapping exercise
Design and Technology
- Design and make a Transport vehicle
- Make /Test/ Critique/Evaluate and Improve as required
- Develop an IMovie to record the process for possible assembly presentation and to use for assessment
- Development of related vocabulary/ new terminology
- Oral presentation/ narration of IMovie
- Forces and Friction
- Investigate different tyre materials
- Transportation vehicles to develop prior knowledge
- Food Safety
Activity 1: Introduction
Give them the Edison robot to explore .
- What is it?
- What can it do?
- What functions does it have?
Activity 2: Develop a school map on a smaller scale
- Measurement – area, distance
Activity 3: Introduce Edblocks program to develop a code to manoeuvre the Edison tool.
- What is the language that is specific to coding this tool?
- What are students already familiar with?
Activity 4: Design and Make a prototype of the transport vehicle
- What materials will be ideal to safely transport and maintain safe temperature of food? (e.g. refrigerated shopping bag, foam esky)
Activity 5: Test drive prototype with weight using the chosen program to move Edison along the smaller scaled school map.
- How much weight will one Edison support?
- Will you need more than one?
- Evaluate the prototype and make changes as necessary
Activity 6: Design and build the full scale transportable vehicle.
Activity 7: Test Drive and evaluate the outcome
- Record using Ipad video or photos
Activity 8: Critique and assess. Did the lunch make it back?