STEM Lesson Plan & Activities - MBOT Year 9
Year 9 – Stem – Mbot
Biological Sciences - Ecosystems consist of communities of interdependent organisms and abiotic components of the environment; matter and energy flow through these systems (ACSSU176)
- Examining factors that affect population sizes such as seasonal changes, destruction of habitats, introduced species
- investigating how ecosystems change as a result of events such as bushfires, drought and flooding
- Population of species – investigate the environment/ecosystem of an local area (rural)
- Inquiry – What factors that affect population sizes such as seasonal changes, destruction of habitats, introduced species in this area.
- Mapping in small groups, done by students – use of coordinates
- Use a GoPro to take images
Lesson 1: Introducing the problem
Students will be investigating what are the factors that affect the population of (insert particular species).
Students discuss in small groups what they think are existing factors. Students will research the area.
Lesson 2: Mapping the area
Students will manually construct a map. Mini lessons on measurement and mapping skills. This may take numerous lessons to construct.
Lesson 3: Investigation with programming
Testing distance and use of units.
Lesson 4: Coding a path
Lesson 5: Trialling the path
Lesson 6: Making improvements to the path
Lesson 7: Collecting the data
Lesson 8: Analysing the data and Reflection
- Mapping using a drone
- Researching habitat of animal
- Share data with wider community**
- Data and statistics