STEM Lesson Plan & Activities - SPHERO Year PP/1
STEM Project- School Garden
End goal getting parents in to make a vegetable soup using vegetables grown in our garden following a tour and harvest of said garden. 8 Lessons to get vegetable garden established
What is a vegetable garden?
· Discuss prior knowledge of a vegetable garden, previously grown vegetables, tried vegetables
· Digital tally or graph of vegetables that children like and dislike
· Brainstorm ideas for our vegetable garden using mindmup.com (resources, vegetables to grow, design, space)
Measuring up our vegetable garden
· Decide on a site for the vegetable garden
· Use sphero’s to measure out an appropriate site
· Children then draw a bird’s eye view of the site (if you have access to a drone have a photo of the area from above)
· Discuss resources available and decide which is the most appropriate
What vegetables should we grow
· Children research which would be the most appropriate vegetables to grow in the season
· Discuss how seasons and weather play a role in how vegetable grow
· Decide as a class 4 different vegetables/fruit to grow
Build our vegetable garden
· With parent volunteers or buddy classes construct the vegetable garden
· Time lapse photography on building process
Planting our garden
· Using sphero measure out the distance for plant placement. One group of children then mark where plants are to be placed with a popstick. The second group to follow along behind and plant.
· Set up a roster for watering and taking photos of plant growth over time
Keeping our garden safe
· Planning/designing a scarecrow to keep birds away from
· Look at the different materials available to create their scarecrow
Keeping our garden safe part 2
· Making our scarecrow with a buddy class
· Place scarecrows into our vegetable garden
How does your garden grow?
· Using photographs of the vegetables the children then sequence photos and scribe the difference in each photos.
The end result we would like to invite parents in to have a soup day with the children. They will be taken on a tour of the vegetable garden using programmed Sphero’s. They will also harvest vegetables from the garden then with their children they will make a vegetable soup. While eating the soup the students will present their journey to their parents using their time lapse footage and photographs taken.